By default, jQuery's ajax functions _don't_ use the cache busting
addition. The getScript() is actually an exception because of IE. (see
the documentation: http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/jQuery.ajax#toptions)

There probably could be be some better documentation, as you said,
noting the cache option is for IEs benefit.

Karl Rudd