I'd been using the autocomplete from scriptaculous, and I think I got
spoiled in some areas.  I'm hoping that maybe someone can help me with
this.

1) My backend returns JSON in the form of an array of objects, which
is really nice for everything else that uses it:
http://ezdispatch.com/get_customers_by_name.php?cust=ad&u=demo&p=demo&text
(it uses a JSON header if you remove the &text from the url).  Is
there any way to make the autocompleter use that (Obviously there is a
bunch of additional information, but I will use the formatItem option
to handle them).  You can see what I need to recreate by going to the
current site here: http://ezdispatch.com/order.php?u=demo&p=demo
Just type into the first text input, use 'ac' to see that there are
names on the left, ratings on the right, and even color coding.

2) It was also nice to be able to specify what parameter name was
used.  For example, since everything else I had was passing the
customer name to that script using ?cust=someName, I could just
specify "cust" and it would use it.  This is minor compared to #1
though.