Copied from the ticket itself:

"The patch about should modify attr() so that it supports this
situation. It won't be applied for now for 2 reasons:

1- The demo you showed doesn't work cross browser. As far as I tested,
IE doesn't fire handlers set as strings with javascript. So there's no
point in supporting that. 2- It needs a lot more of testing. Our test
runner doesn't fail with this patch, but as attr() went to many
changes lately, we'll give it special attention before modifying it
again.

Thanks for reporting. "

Cheers
--