You might want to take a look at my clueTip plugin. It allows you to load the contents of the tooltip with the title attribute, the text contents of an element on the current page, or the result of an ajax request. Also, in the most recent version, if you can use a string as the first argument, it will use that for the contents. Use an anonymous function and it will use the return value of that function.

http://plugins.learningjquery.com/cluetip/

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com