On second thoughts, it looks like you want the div that contains the span but
without the span in it?
I think there is something wrong that your logic there, but depending on
what you want to do something like this might work for you:
$("div:has(span)").find("span").remove().end();
That will remove that span from the document, and leave you only with its
containing div...