Two things.

In opera:

$('#confirmSnippetDelete').dialog(
   {
            position: new Array(600 , 500)
   }
);

The script ignores the 'top' position specified as the second value of
that coordinate pair. This was narrowed down to a local variable
called 'top' which was conflicting with the 'top in the global
namespace (window.top).
Changing the name to dlgTop fixed my problems and it carried on
working again.

In IE8

I'm not sure if you really care about IE8 for the moment, but I'm
getting an exception on the following line of code in jquery.ui.

var wnd = $(window), doc = $(document), minTop = top =
doc.scrollTop(), left = doc.scrollLeft();

IE8 is complaining about doc.scrollTop being assigned to top.

Again, changing the name of the variable to dlgTop resolves this
issue.

===

I have no idea what the standard for Javascript says (Apparently it's
a laughable thing anyway). I'm a desktop developer by trade, and I
consider it a miracle that somebody has gone to all this effort of
writing such a lovely library. So I'll end this on a positive note by
saying thanks to all you lovely developers. I hope I can be of service
once I wrap my head around all this javascript gubbins...