gandalf458 wrote:
I'm trying my first simple jQuery task, a mouseover event to display a
box with some text.

  $("p.sec-ia").addClass("unhide").show("slow");

works fine but when I add the mouseover

  $("#section1").hover(function(){
    $("p.sec-ia").addClass("unhide").show("slow");
  },function(){
    $("p.sec-ia").removeClass("unhide");
  });

it doesn't do anything. I don't know if it's because my p.sec-ia isn't
in the #section1. Can anyone give me a clue, please? Thanks.

It would be easier if you could point us to a live page. But there is something that looks odd. I don't know how the CSS for the class "unhide" is defined, but you seem to be combining idioms. Usually you would choose to *either* toggle a CSS class:

    $("p.sec-ia").addClass("unhide");

or to directly toggle the visibility:

    $("p.sec-ia").show("slow");

Perhaps your hover shouldn't bother (at least at first) with the "unhide" class but should instead simply do a

    $("p.sec-ia").hide();  // or
    $("p.sec-ia").fadeIn("slow");

Good luck,

  -- Scott