I hope this isn't too late..

I believe the "problem" lies in the fact that when you view source in IE,
you get the *current* source. In FF you get the original, unmodified HTML
document.

However, if you browse the source via Firebug, or the WebDev toolbar's "view
generated source" function, you will see the current source (as you would in
IE).

Now, for your situation (if I understand correctly), you might try the
following:

$( document.body ).prepend( '<textarea rows="30" cols="90">' + $(
document.body ).html() + '</textarea>' );

Add that into your $() at whatever point you'd like to see the current
source without the expandos.

HTH.