Please consider this a bug in whatever plugin you find, and report it
accordingly. An explanation of the correct pattern is here:
http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Authoring#Custom_Alias_in_plugin_code

I fixed this for the validation plugin, please give the latest
revision a try or wait for the next release (1.3.1 or 1.4):
http://dev.jquery.com/view/trunk/plugins/validate/

Jörn