  From: Guy Fraser
  To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 1:04 PM
  Subject: [jQuery] [OT] Re: [jQuery] Re: anti IE6

  MorningZ wrote:
Any many huge corporations and govt branches are slow to update as
well....  it's certainly not their fault, so why would you
purposefully annoy them?
  Because if you don't annoy them, they keep using IE6, and we have to keep
putting up with the pain of supporting it.

  Many web developers still have the crazy notion that we should support IE6.
However, doing so only causes us more pain because people using IE6 mistakenly
believe that they have a good browser and therefore never get rid of it so the
pain continues.

  The only feasible way to kill off IE6 is to simply stop supporting it. When
the customer or end-user complains, explain that their browser is broken and
that they should upgrade to a free, modern browser like Firefox, Opera or
Safari/Webkit.

  Think about it, if your car was broken would you expect all the roads in the
country to be modified to counter the broken car? No, it would be ludicrous.
The broken car would be fixed or destroyed for the good of humanity.

  Yet, it seems, in the web world we continue this crazy self-destructive act
of supporting the most widespread and heavily broken browser the entire planet
has ever encountered. It has to stop.

  There's nothing stopping large organisations from installing a modern browser
alongside IE6 - IE6 can then still be used for their broken intranet, the
modern browser can be used for everything else.

  Visit: http://www.savethedevelopers.org