I just read another post about the cycle plugin. Maybe that will help?
http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

daveJay wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, that's very handy! =) While I think it has
helped some, it hasn't made an appreciable difference on the overall
performance.

I don't think it's the method of dissolve that's the problem. I tried
a scriptaculous fade and had the same issue. I think it's mostly the
fact that I have to move and resize the image, requiring the image to
be redrawn, thereby making a fade much more complex a procedure. And
it's also just the size of the image as well. I took out the resizing
code and the fade still had difficulty working on an image of that
size.

Fortunately, this issue does not seem to affect any browser except the
Mac version of Firefox 2. I'm almost to the point where I would
consider putting in a browser detect script to detect for the Mac FF2
and suggest they download FF3 to improve performance. FF3 should be
coming out soon and hopefully the adoption rate will be quick. This
whole thing may be a non-issue in a few months.