That's not a bad idea. Maybe more suitable for a plugin than in the
core though.

I guess there are a couple of issues:

First of all, it might be tricky setting up a timed callback to an
annonymous function. You'd probably have to restrict it to named
callbacks.

Secondly, to do it right you'd probably need some kind of queue
management to prevent timeouts conflicting and making the problem even
worse (ie, user clicks several buttons in quick succession, loading
images trying to take precedence but ajax responses loading as they
arrive etc).

I guess the point is, you _could_ make it very rough and ready without
adding a lot of cruft, but it really needs to be user/programmer
friendly if it's going to part of the core functionality - and that
means bulk.

How are you doing it exactly? If you've already written the code you
should wrap it in a plugin and release it. :-)