Michael,

>is it possible to glue two table rows together, so that when the first
>row is sorted, the second row always comes next?

Awhile back, I modded the tablesorter plug-in to do just that:

http://blog.pengoworks.com/index.cfm/2008/3/28/Finished-jQuery-Tablesorter-m
od-for-Collapsible-Table-Rows

My code *has* been merged into the tablesorter code (in the SVN,) but the
updated version has still not been "officially" released.

With my mod you can add the CSS class of "expand-child" to each paired <tr/>
element in order to "group" the <tr/> tags together. You can change the CSS
class with the "cssChildRow" option.

You can actually have multiple rows grouped together. Basically what happens
is every consecutive <tr/> tag with the "expand-child" class is going to be
grouped with the last <tr/> tag without the css class.

Here's an example:
http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/jquery/tablesorter/tablesorter.htm

-Dan