It's not an issue with jQuery or the browser.

A whole page (HTML element and all) into another page, it'd be invalid
HTML so the browser could do anything with it. It's like writing:

<head>...<head>
  <head>...<head>

So as you can see that would make no sense.

The solution is to insert a "partial" document, in this case just the
part inside the <body> and any scripts (though you may want to check
out the $.getScript() function).

Karl Rudd