Take a look at the Cycle plugin. http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/ Its
primary intent is to cycle through each child of a container, IE a div
containing some images.  It includes a whole host of transition choices
(including crossfade), and also can be utilized as part of a 'pager' instead
of automated cycling.  (I use it to crossfade through 2-4 images on a timer
- the fade is perfect)

I love the look of your gallery, BTW.