You dont understand the difference between php, html an JS.

where is PHP and JS executed? What does the browser see? Does the
browser see any PHP code and running it?

http://www.google.ch/search?q=php+vs+js&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&;

<?php
if (is_file('xy.gif')) {
// code if file exists
} else
{
// code if file is not
}

There is no need for JS/jQuery here. you should ask this question in a
PHP forum.

Cheers
tl