After more research I discovered for jsonp callbacks to work, the PHP
needs to return the name of the function as well as (which the flicker
service does in the $.getJSON example), so I added this to the PHP
file. For reference the PHP file now consists of this:

<?php

  $stuff = "myCallback ({'prop':1)";

  echo $stuff;

?>

However, the page is still not working! Firebug now reports the error
'myCallback is not defined', but I thought jQuery was supposed to
using the jsoncallback=? query parameter?

I guess this must be a problem with the PHP?

Does no one know this or am I just posting in totally the wrong place?