I want to get an element by an unique index, then at a later time do
something to that element, such as add text.

I was trying the following code:
        $(document).ready(function(){
                $("*", document.body).click(function () {
                        var index = $("*", document.body).index(this);
                        $("*:eq(" + index +")", document.body).css("color",
"red");
But when I click, it adds the red text color to all parents too. I
changed the code too print the index number and it appends several
index numbers to the element I click and the parents.

I want to get the index number of the top most element that I click
on. That element may have children or may not.

So, how do I get only the top most element index that I clicked on?