As is usually the case, 30 minutes after posing the question, I figure
it out myself. For those that are interested:

<radio class="first_choice" id="choice_1" />
<radio class="first_choice" id="choice_2" />
<radio class="first_choice" id="choice_3" />

<radio class="second_choice" id="choice_1b" />
<radio class="second_choice" id="choice_2b" />
<radio class="second_choice" id="choice_3b" />

//radio button mirror disable
$('.first_choice').click(
            function(){

    mirror_radio = '#' + this.id + 'b';
    $(".second_choice").attr("disabled",false);
    $(mirror_radio).attr("disabled",true).attr("checked",false);

   });

Luc Pestille
Web Designer