Being more of a "designer" than a coder, I'm having trouble with
this.  I've not been able to find any examples of errorPlacement or
showErrors that seem to apply in this situation.  I don't understand
what you mean by adding a different class to the actual label -- would
I still be able to use highlight and unhighlight, or is that my
problem?  I apologize for my ignorance.  Thanks for your help so far,
I'll keep researching and experimenting...

LVR