I know that it's possible, but I'm wondering if there is something in
jQuery that will return the data or index of what a user has selected
with a mouse (or shift button).

I'd like to have a way to create a note on a page about a certain
selection that the user defines.  So, maybe I'd like to add a note
about my first paragraph.  I would be able to highlight it, and click
a button, and then write a note to tell myself "it's (not) possible".
(which would be stored in the backend with the location of the note.

Internally, I want to add a [note] type of BBCode to the text that is
highlighted.

Does this make sense?  If so, anyone know how?  Thanks.