>From what I can tell, I've now fixed this in my code.  What's frustrating is
that I don't believe I changed anything (but obviously something must have).
 I added some alerts into the jQuery code itself to see if it was truly
setting the request header, and then as soon as I did that, it started
working!  Taking those out, everything still works.  So, uh, I'm left
wondering...