html() would be no good for what I'm trying to do. Basically I have
<pre> blocks which contain pre-formatted source code (including a lot
of extra html spans and what not for syntax highlighting and line
numbering). I then take the text() of the <pre>'s and insert it into a
<textarea> which will now contain a plain text version of the code
from the <pre>. Works perfectly in anything but IE.