I would recommend the following:

1. On element.mousedown, bind document.mousemove and document.mouseup.
2. On document.mouseup, unbind mousemove and mouseup.
3. Don't worry about sending the drag events (mousemove) to the element
that's actually going to be moving, just handle the events at the document
level and move the element accordingly.

This is known as event delegation. Especially because your original element
isn't going to move, your safest element is document, to which all others
will bubble up.

You might want to take a look at the mouse plugin inside jQuery UI's core
(ui.core.js). This is how it's designed. For examples of use, see any of
jQuery UI's draggable, slider, selectable, sortable. After mousedown (on the
target element), everything else is on the document.

- Richard

Richard D. Worth
http://rdworth.org/