Funny, after setting up a test page I resolved my problem. It seems
that a bug causes links inside nested floats to sometimes become
inactive in IE6. Removing the float, or strangely, removing the
background image, caused the inserted links to function properly.

More about the bug here:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/dup-characters.html

Thanks for the input,
-Matt