I notice your request has a closing tag after a self-closing tag.
<ns1:arg0 href="#id0"/></ns1:echoInteger> shouldn't close itself and
also have a closing tag. That would and should invalidate your soap
request if I am correct without jquery interfering.

try making the original request valid xml and check it again. IE..
<ns1:arg0 href="#id0"></ns1:echoInteger>  notice that the first open
tag is not self-closed allowing the </ns1 ... > tag to be the closing
entity.

Also for future reference, always try and validate the xml involved in
your SOAP requests. I find it helps a great deal in debugging them.