The behaviour I have is that the form is correctly validated, but
submits

                $('#editjobsform').submit(function()  {dosavejob();   return
false; });
//other stuff here
                $('#editjobsform').validate(
                        { rules: {blah:"blah"   },
                          messages: {   blah: "blah"} }
                        );
//other stuff here
        function dosavejob() {
                $('#editjobsform').ajaxSubmit({  // editjobsform action="/srv/
coms2.asmx/getJobs"
                                beforeSubmit: ShowBusy,
                                success: DoneSaveJob,
                                dataType: 'xml',
                                error: function(XMLHttpRequest, textStatus,
errorThrown)
{NotFound(); ClearBusy();}
                                });
                return false;
                }

I've tried changing the order of the .submit and .ajaxSubmit but to no
avail.  Chaining them loses the .ajaxSubmit behaviour and I ended up
looking the xml returned by my web service.

The documentation mentions submitHandler which might do the trick, but
isn't docuemented in the API documentation section.

Speaking of which, there appear to be some classes which cause
validation to occur ('required' 'url' 'date') but again these are not
documented: or am I missing something ? [other than reading the source
code]

TIA

Andrew