Gabriel,

Since that's the case here is the method I would use.

div with no background onload that contains the gallery of thumbs.
next, when you click a thumb the loading gif becomes background while
the selected image is loading.  once loaded it becomes the background.

I'm not sure how to do the loading image, but I'm sure there are
plenty of plugins available for this.

Have a good day!
Johnie Karr