Look:

$(function() {
  $("#name").autocomplete("someurl");
});

That does nothing but bind a few event handlers. It doesn't create DOM
elements, nor does it load any records.

As soon as the user starts typing, the keyup-event-handler loads some
data via ajax - how many rows are returned is up to your serverside.
It then creates the necessary DOM elements to show the result list and
adds event handlers to that (for keyboard navigation etc.).

I hope that gives you a better idea how it works.

Jörn