[apologies, I put this on the dev list but should really have put it
here]

IE8b2 will crash if you try to insert a text node after a float. This
might not seem such a common thing to do, but remember that jquery
parses html into nodes before appending - and if your html starts with
a space then the first inserted node will be a text node and kabooom!

I've put up test page here:
http://partyark.org/html/ie8floattest.html

This completely shafted my site (http://www.partyark.co.uk) where we
use jquery to write a 'basket summary' div at the bottom of the page
if you've got something in your basket. What with this and lack of
opacity I've had to put up the IE=7 http header thingy until they get
this stuff sorted out.