I had a similar need.  Wanted to override the default load()
functionality, and needed the original selector.  I tried overriding
jQuery.init to save the passed in selector, eg,

jQuery.fn.extend(jQuery.fn, {

  _init : jQuery.fn.init,
  _selector : '',

  init : function (selector, context) {

     if (typeof of selector == 'string')
       this._selector = selector;

    return this._init(selector, context);

  }
})

But couldn't get it to work.  The init method doesn't seem to be
(trivially) extendable.  I think it'll be useful to have, and
hopefully somebody will know the way....