Ronn, your description doesn't match your code. The description says you
want to "count the 'group#' divs inside of the 'master' div", but the code
counts the immediate children of the #master div.

Now, given the HTML you posted, those happen to be the same value, since the
only immediate children of #master are the group divs. Just checking that
this assumption will remain valid.

Assuming that you actually want to count the immediate children of
div#master, your code looks like it should work. What result does it give
you?

I would probably do it this way:

    var ct = $('#master > *').length;

But that should give the same result. (You might try it just for
comparison.)

Can you post a link to a test page? It's hard to tell what might be wrong
without seeing it in action.

And do you have Firebug? You can open your page and try stuff out in the
Firebug console (click in the single line at the bottom of the console to
enter JavaScript code). Try these and see what you get (you can use the up
arrow key to bring back a previous entry, so you don't have to retype the
whole thing each time):

$('#master')

$('#master').children()

$('#master').children().size()

$('#master > *')

$('#master > *').length

-Mike

  _____

From: Ronn Ross

Hello all

I have seen examples of counting children of an element like a div. I have
tried to customize those examples to work for my situation, but with no
success. What I'm trying to accomplish seems simple, but I have not been
able to make it happen. I'm simply trying to count the 'group#' divs inside
of the 'master' div. I was hoping that something like:

       var ct = $('#master').children().size();

would work, but being new to JQuery I have not been able to find a solution.

Thanks in advance,

content inside area
content inside area