Joel;
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I have no problems with setting that element's height in ems, I just
couldn't find where in the superfish css file that height was
established. I saw a line height being set and several widths and lots
of offsets, but never found a height and I didn't want to just make
random stabs.

After reading your post I looked again and tried 2.5em based the
comment in this line:
top:2.5em; /* match top ul list item height */
I never *did* figure out where the "top ul list item height" was set,
but 2.5em works great for the height of the containing <div>.

All seems to be entirely awesome now and thanks again borth for the
outstanding code but for your interest in my dopey question.

Steve