you don't need to use jQuery. I've just been solving problem about how
can I get value of SELECT by jQuery and I've realized that there is
another, easier path. Just use simple JS:
function getID()
{
  return  document.getElementById('test').selectedIndex; // this
command find out index of actually selected option
}
if you want to increase it or decrease it, just use simple math :)
function Increase()
{
  var id = getID();
  id++;
  if (id > maxID) id = minID;
  upd(id);
}

function Decrease()
{
  var id = getID();
  id--;
  if (id < minID) id = maxID;
  upd(id);
}
and then just update text in label  - you can use simple JS as well:
function upd(newID)
{
document.getElementById('the_previous_or_next_option_value').innerHTML =
document,getElementById('test').options[newID].text;
}

It may works.