The first solution that comes to my mind is to have the container for
the menu cover the user's image completely, sized & with the actual
menu content positioned such that the menu appears wherever you want
it without obscuring the image.

Then change the handlers so you make the menu visible on mousover of
the image, and hide it on mouseout of the menu.  That avoids the
"double trigger" problem you have currently.

Alternatively you can have the mouseover function for the image
dynamically bind a mouseover function to all other DOM elements
(except for the menu).  That new mouseover function would hide the
menu again, and then un-bind itself.