Update: this only worked the first time the tooltip came up.  After I
closed it and opened it again, the body of the tooltip was empty.  I'm
still looking into another way around this.  I've seen other posts
referencing a quick .mouseout, .mouseover sequence.  Maybe this is the
solution?  Anyone have any thoughts?