Hi Klaus

Thanks for getting back.

"Calling the tab directly" means calling the page NOT from the Tab(s)
but from an external link or by passing it in the browsers address
bar.
"Calling from the tab itself" means, calling the tab by clicking on a
tab-button-link (swithing from one tab to the other).

Code Example:
Testing this case with your demo from http://stilbuero.de/jquery/tabs/.
1. Example I added a dummy form:
[code]
                Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna
aliquam erat volutpat.
                Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna
aliquam erat volutpat.

                <form>
                 <fieldset>
                  <input type="text" id="focusTest" name="test" />
                 </fieldset>
                </form>
[/code]

At the end of the jquery $(function)-call I added:
[code]
$('#focusTest').focus();
[/code]

Now, when I click on the second tab in the first example, I see the
form, but no curors.
But, when I "refresh" the page, it appears.

Online example:
http://hanfgarten.li/tabs/
Hit the second tab directly:
http://hanfgarten.li/tabs/#fragment-2

Hope this helps *reconstructing* the issue.

Thanks for your help anyway!
~ QT