The plugin should ignore buttons by default, thats a bug. Could you
create a ticket for this? http://dev.jquery.com/newticket (requires
registration)

Meanwhile, to work around it you can specifx the meta-option to
namespace metadata for validation. Just set meta: "validate" and the
button should be ignored.

Jörn