True, but the whole purpose of a library like jQuery is to abstract
such pains and make it "just work". IE6 is still a common browser
(especially in corporate environments) and "quirks mode" pages are
common. With all the work-arounds for special cases in other areas of
jQuery, I think this should work correctly regardless of doctype as
well. IMO :)

Matt