hi all,

i’m doing this in ffx2 and firebug1.05; i have a local document
loaded, go to the firebug console, and write

  $log( $Q( 'div' ).hasClass( '' ) ); $log( '###' )

to which firebug responds with
  true
  ###

thereby showing bot commands did execute. now i repeat the experiment,
but with

  $log( $Q( 'div' ).hasClass( '.x' ) ); $log( '###' )

the argument to `hasClass` is problematic: it uses selector-syntax and
starts with a dot. this is a mistake that easily results from copy-n-
pasting code. acceptable reactions of jQuery to this would be
responding with something like `null`, `undefined`, or `false`, or
raising an exception for having been passed a bogus argument.

instead what happens: NOTHING. NADA. firebug displays RIEN de tout.
this bit me when i wrote a suite of several method calls, one of which
included dotted class name---the code would run to a certain point,
then simply VANISH like being swallowed by a black hole. firebug
breakpoints etc. haven’t helped me so far.

i’m not even sure how to simulate this behavior using only
javascript---can’t be an early return statement, as then the `###`es
in the above example would still print out. javascript execution just
stops silently in some dark dead end. any ideas, anyone?

cheers & ~flow