"I wanted to use jQuery UI but the docs site was down" :-)

At the end of the day, I don't think potential consumers of plugin(s)
should be too concerned whether there's an additional few KB of script
loaded on a page which duplicates a functionality already available in
another loaded library. Not as concerned as they should be about how
the end-user experience is, especially when it's all running together.

In other words, I would be concerned if there was a performance
degradation to using both. Absent that, I would evaluate on end-user
factors, or other developer concerns, if any. This is what I was
saying to Jose...which one you should use ought to be based on which
one does what you want it to do better, and then think about things
like ease-of-implementation. In my view, the spectre of bandwidth or
memory efficiency is not an issue on this scale per se.

I'm eager to see a solid demo of cropping using the UI libraries. Then
I'd like to see one with all the same interface features (dragging
from edges, animated ant-lines, etc). I'm not saying all those
features are necessary for a cropping tool, or even desirable to
everyone...I'm just saying, we've got to be able to compare apples to
apples. Regardless of bells and whistles, I think this type of
interface is valuable now and will be more valuable over time as more
sites implement more advanced interfaces and features. UI should have
something better than that existing demo.

I'm a big proponent of re-use, so I really appreciate this discussion
about the UI library. I am more motivated to go investigate how I
could utilize it here. Though I would expect that UI generally has
everything over my engine in terms of features and design, I have a
very specific use and it may be one case where the extra few kilobytes
of homebrew engine actually beats the performance overhead of a bigger
library, I don't know. But, I do plan to do some experiments in the
lab... Maybe when that docs site comes back up! :-)

Thanks again, RDW et al.
-Kelly