Someone else may explain this better than me but...

jQuery is attaching an event to your anchors tags (this may be a plugin or a
custom script that attaches the events - and it may attach to selected tags)
the normal operation of the anchor is to redirect the browser to that
location.

Sine your event is a AJAX event you want to prevent the default operation
and stop the properagtion of the event.  A handler onSuccess or onComplete
will be listening for a response from that AJAX request which will have a
reponse with loaded data or error messages

Use firebug (other tools are available) to see requests made by your page

- S