Code samples would be really helpful here.

I'm assuming that you've already attached a function to the Click
event on Button B?
$('.buttonB').click( ...some function to attach...);
Because, unless you've done that, then running .click() isn't going to
have much effect.

Can you explain your reason for using $(event.target).is()  in this
case?  I'm a bit confused as to how you're using it, and what effect
that might have on the click() binding.

Also, if you don't have Firebug installed yet, I'd recommend it so you
can do things like:
console.log(  $(event.target) )
It can be helpful to find out what JS thinks a certain variable is set
to.

I'll try to be more helpful if you can provide more info. :-)

Cheers.