Hello there.  I had a similar problem to yours, which I have just
solved now.  I'm not sure if this is good coding or not, but it works
which is enough for me.

I was also using 2 plugins - lavalamp and coda-slider, both of which
worked fine in isolation, but on the same page only the first plugin
worked - the second of which did not.

So this is how I fixed it:

1.  I created a copy of jquery.js and called it jquery2.js
2.  After the lavalamp scripts I called a second instance of jquery in
the head for use with the coda-slider
3.  I then opened up jquery2.js and replaced all $ with $j2
4.  I opened all coda-slider scripts and as above, replaced all $ with
$j2

All of which looks like this:

<!--first jquery call-->
<script src="js/jquery-1.2.6.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<!--all lavalamp scripts-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/lavalamp.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/easing.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    $(function() { $(".lavaLamp").lavaLamp({ fx: "backout", speed:
700 })});
</script>

<!--second jquery call with $ changed to $j2-->
<script src="js/jquery2.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<!--all coda slider scripts with $ changed to $j2-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-scrollTo-1.3.3.js"></
script>
<script type="text/javascript"src="js/jquery.localscroll-1.2.5.js"
charset="utf-8"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"src="js/jquery.serialScroll-1.2.1.js"
charset="utf-8"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/coda-slider.js"
charset="utf-8"></script>

HTH.  If not, I'm sure someone more experienced can help out.

Good luck.