I'm in much the same boat.  I've been using openLayer's python based proxy,
but wouldn't mind seeing a more secured php based one, if you'd be willing
to post.   Of course, I'm currently limited to php4, so I may not be able to
use it, but... still curious.

Also, phil?, what are you querying against?  If Geoserver, it has tickets to
introduce jsonp to wfs-getfeature at some point, but its not there as yet.
 Andrea set the version as 1.7.1 (
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-1411).<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-1411>
Opening
a ticket or asking about outputformat=jsonp for getCapabilities would
probably be good thing.  Full jsonp support for the wms/wfs would be very
powerful.

-josh