I thought I was getting the hang of jquery and javascript, but then i
wrote this small function, and it is really taking a long to run -
like 15+ seconds.

The purpose of the function is that i have a list of concerts ordered
by date.
I want to show the date when the date changes, so for all concerts on
Wed, Sep 24, I show the date as a heading on the first concert, and
then hide the rest of the date headings, and then for concerts on Thur
Sep 25, the date shows again on the first item, so users know they are
looking at a different day.

This way users get a clear division of dates.

the function I'm using is
[code]
        function showDateDivides(){
        $('.divideDate').livequery(function(){
                var dividedID = $(this).attr('id');
                var dateTable = $('#'+dividedID).html();
                var splitDateTable = dateTable.split(' ');
                var dayOfWeek = splitDateTable[0];
                var numOfMonth = splitDateTable[1];
                $('.dateTable#'+dividedID+':first').show();
                $('.dateTable#'+dividedID+':first
td#'+dayOfWeek).html(numOfMonth).addClass('firstDate');
        });
[/code]

the class divideDate is hidden in the css when the page loads,
The id holds the date formated in YYYY-mm-dd
the class dateTable holds a weekly view date table (so 7 squares), and
then the day of the week gets the date number and class of firstDate
added to it.

I hope that's clear. Is this really inefficient code?