I'm writing an application whereby a barcode is scanned into a text
field.  This barcode becomes the benchmark and a new text field is
inserted underneath.  Every time a new barcode is scanned, it is
compared to the benchmark and a message displays whether it matched it
or not, and then another text field is inserted underneath.  So
potentially this application can process an infinite number of
barcodes.

The problem I have is that we want to make this application work
without having to use the keyboard.  So the app has to know when the
barcode has been fully scanned without having to press the Enter key
or Tab key or something like that.  How do I write the javascript that
can check whether a text field is finished being inputted?  I assume
that timers have to be used, but I can't figure it out.  Also, there
is no standard barcode type, so checking string length is not a
solution.