Ok, I've further debugged this, trying to find the exact circumstances
in which the validator doesn't work. Now I noticed that the values of
the name and id attributes of input fields aren't the same. I've
created a fixed version:

http://lab.jeroencoumans.nl/register/index-fixed-name.html

And now the validator works! So it seems that the name and id
attributes ought to be the same in order for the validator plugin to
work. But Drupal automatically creates the name attribute without the
"edit-" part which it prepends in the id attribute. Is there any way I
can get the validator plugin to work without having to hack the way
Drupal spits out its forms?

Regards,
Jeroen