tiny mce makes an iframe (and other interface bits) to display content
(sometimes from textareas) and makes it editable.

in the dom there is contentEditable, which has all mannor of different
quirks between browser due to implementation
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/execCommand/

tiny mce (other editors are available jquery has one coming -
http://code.google.com/p/jwysiwyg/ [maybe others UI?]) level out the
differences to resolve any incompatibilities

- S