Well, originally I had thought that the duplication went away.

It appears now that the duplication only happens when I load datasets
that are longer than (some yet to be determined) length / time.  I was
browsing through the code of the plugin and I noticed there was some
timer stuff added for Opera (I think, haven't looked again and am
operating on memory).  Perhaps I need to add something similar to
Firefox and / or IE?  Ideas?